Join GlobalBizzNetwork and start your international business network today.
The small, landlocked kingdom of Swaziland grew well in the 1990s – 3.4% per annum (1990-2000) – but has seen economic growth stagnate in the 2000s. Swaziland has a GNI per capita of US$ 2,860 and GDP growth has been 0.8% per annum. Apart from the exception of a small border with Mozambique, the country is almost entirely surrounded by South Africa, upon which it is heavily dependent for its imports (90%) and exports (60%). In the long term the country has one of the best growth records in Africa, but a heavy dependence on soft drink concentrate, sugar cane and on South Africa, makes the economy vulnerable.
Swaziland is endowed with rich cultural heritage, scenic beauty, rich soils and natural resources; Swaziland truly leaves up to the adage that “dynamite comes in small packages. A strong financial services sectors backed by a sound regulatory and legal framework, excellent market access, an educated and vibrant labour pool and many other attributes are some of the attractions in the country.
- Thermal power generation
- Stone Quarrying stones
- Potential to supply vibrant construction industry.
- Small deposits possessing swa6
- Peanut Butter Production
- Processed Meat
- Baby vegetables
- Vegetable drying
- Frozen vegetables
- Tomato sauce production
- Cassava Processing and Starch
- Tobacco Growing
- Fruit, vegetable preservation and bottling
- Bottling (preservation) of pickles and chutneys
- Bottling of jams and jellies
- Processing of beans and other legumes
- Dairy products (e.g. Yoghurts, custards) and ice bottling of spring-water and flavoured spring water
- Juice squeezing (fresh juice from oranges, grapefruits
Electronic components manufacture and assembly
- Manufacture of automobile spare parts
- Processing of hides and skins (Leather goods and footwear)
- Furniture and other timber-related manufacturing
- Development of a state-of-the-art government owned ICC
- Development of a golf estate, casino and supporting facilities
- A holiday housing estate to cater for (mainly foreign) holidaymakers mostly foreign